I’m 39 next week. I’m not sure how that crept up on me really. Not the 39 bit, the next week bit. I hadn’t noticed we were already halfway through September.
We take birthdays seriously in our house. If it’s a weekday, my husband and I take the day off work and go out for the day, then out for a meal in the evening. If it’s a weekend we all go out as a family. But this year it’s not going to be quite so good.
Here are the reasons my birthday is going to be a bit crap this year:
- My eldest is on Scout camp – from the evening before until late on the day after.
- My younger son and his Daddy (the football coach) will be playing football in the morning.
- My parents are away so won’t be able to celebrate with us. Or babysit.
- I won’t be needing a babysitter anyway because I have my final half marathon training run the day after my birthday and therefore can’t eat anything unusual the night before.
- For the same reason, I can’t even eat my own birthday cake.
Next year (clearly) I am going to be 40. I will be a little bit stricter with my family (and myself) about what they can and can’t do, so we can actually enjoy my birthday together as a family.
I hope I’m not coming across all spoilt brat and me-me-me here. My birthday and Mother’s Day are the two days of the year when I expect to just get a teensy bit of thought and consideration from those around me (while continuing to wash their clothes, make their breakfasts and tidy the kitchen etc). I never go away for the weekend with my husband, I’ve never had a girls’ holiday. The ONLY time I have EVER left my three kids for the weekend was for my friend’s wedding last weekend.
So, really, I’m not asking much, am I?