I write about family life. The day-to-day stuff that happens to us. I don’t write list posts (although ironically this is one) or advice posts. I don’t even write many reviews.
My blog is never going to set the world on fire, but that’s not what I set out to do. I hope that one day I can look back on it and remember all the things we did. Things I would have otherwise forgotten. I hope the kids will read it and remember too and realise how special all those little things were to me – the football, the ballet and their achievements at school. It all matters to me.
But what matters to my readers?
Apparently it’s my younger son’s birthday, ballet, Roaccutane and Center Parcs.
These are my most-viewed posts of 2016 – and all but two of them were written before 2016:
- My number 1 post of the year is: Happy birthday 11 year old boy from 2014. This doesn’t surprise me as it appears in my top posts every day, but I do wonder why people are so interested in it?!
- Number 2 is Nandos Birthday party from 2013, which is about my younger son’s 10th birthday! This makes more sense, as Nandos don’t actually do birthday parties, so if you Google ‘Nandos birthday party’, my post comes up pretty high.
- Number 3 is Center Parcs veterans from 2012. It contains some advice on holidays to Center Parcs, including details of a day pass, which is the search that brings my blog up on Google.
- Number 4, Ballet distinction: Loud ‘n’ Proud, has much lower views than the top 3 and is a personal post from 2015, about my daughter getting distinction in her Grade 1 ballet exam.
- Number is 5 one of only two posts from this year – Acne, rosacea and Roaccutane – what next? If you Google ‘Roaccutane’, my blog comes up pretty high, so it’s no wonder this and the other Roaccutane posts feature in my top 10.
- Number 6 is another Center Parcs post from 2012. Geocaching argument is less about the actual geocaching and more about the arguing, but if you Google ‘geocaching Center Parcs’, you’ll find my blog!
- Number 7 is my very first Roaccutane post from 2014 – Roaccutane (serious sh*t)
- Number 8 is about Roaccutane again – Starting the Roaccutane journey from 2014.
- Number 9 is yet another Roaccutane post – The acne and the hair dye from 2015.
- And, finally, number 10 is about ballet again – The distinction that wasn’t good enough. And then it was is about my daughter’s Grade 2 exam, from earlier this year.
This is the first time I’ve analysed my top performing posts. I’m not a very ‘good’ blogger in that sense. I just write about what I want to write about. I don’t really think about whether people actually want to read and how to improve the SEO to get them to read more.
But having discovered what people were reading about in 2016, I’m definitely going to check back in a year to see what was of interest in 2017. Will my daughter’s 11th birthday in a couple of months be as interesting as her brother’s was? Will my son’s Roaccutane journey be as interesting as mine? Will panto be of more interest than ballet?
Watch this space!